23688: (reply) Donoviel to Wilson's post: Compromise? (fwd)

From: Brett Donoviel <sldon2@yahoo.com>

Wow. Even the AP reporters seem to be more grounded in
their analysis. Maybe this panicky, paternalistic cold
war theory is in response to the fact that they're
actually starting to report human rights abuses
against people who support (or don't hate) Lavalas. I
don't think it will succeed in taking the heat off of
the coup government.

This is what amazes me. Wilson writes:

    Finally, one definition of politics is that it is
> the "art of compromise."
> All
> parties participating in the political process of
> Haiti must be willing to
> engage in compromise in order to see political
> progress.

The audacity. Who was talking about compromise after
the 2000 elections? Not the opposition. They wouldn't
even entertain the idea. Who was willing to compromise
in the months leading up to the coup? Not the
opposition. Caricom wanted to talk. OAS wanted to
talk. Even the State Department at least acted like
they wanted to talk. Aristide agreed to a compromise
that would essentially make him powerless for the rest
of his term. But the opposition wouldn't even talk.
So I believe it's safe to say that this "necessary"
interim government does not genuinely believe in
Wilson's definition of politics. But now that they
have power, the people are to be lectured about
compromise? I have a feeling that argument has very
little to do with democratic principles.