23911: (reply) (John Engle) (costs involved in "study") (fwd)

From: John Engle <john@theexperiment.info>

Thanks for your question/interest, Kathleen.

It's hard to put exact dollar figures but i can
provide approximations.

but before i do, i need to clarify that there's never
simply been "study" phase. we're still learning and
adapting. true, we've been involved in piloting some
different approaches and have standardized some
aspects.

fokal (sorros) provided a grant of $25,000 to help us
get started. this money allowed us to establish a
number of pilot projects--a number of 2-3 day seminars
in different parts of haiti along with ongoing support
to a number of groups and instititions involved in
formal and non-formal education that began
experimenting with the method.

this money also made it possible for us to produce
materials in haitian creole. we produced 3,000 copies
of liv patisipan 1 (participants book 1) and 15,000
copies of liv patisipan 1 second eddition.

steven werlin, who left his job job as a colleague
professor for a year, after having already spend
several summers in haiti developing capacity in
creole, received a grant of about $15,000 from a small
family foundation so that he could have a stipend and
travel expenses for his year working with us.

there was also the time of beyond borders and limye
lavi staff members, who were working on other projects
but who have participated in this project.

the work continues to unfold but in a very organic and
decentralized nature. there are lots of institutions
that are using reflection circles and open space so
the use of the methods are growing.

we estimate conservatively that at least 7,000 people
have participated in reflection circle/open space
meeting, that 300-400 people have faciliated one or
more reflection circle/open space meetings and that
100-200 are facilitating them on a regular basis.

to learn more about my particular involvement in
spreading the use of these methods, go to
http://theexperiment.info

you'll find budgets,  annual reports, stories etc not
to mention goals and objectives of method and program.

thanks again for your interest.

john

=====
http://JohnEngle.blogspot.com What American Know-How Has..