24284: Koleva: (ask) New York Vodou (fwd)

From: Gergana Koleva <gergana@journalist.com>

[Please reply directly to the address above this note.  The poster is not
a list member.    Thanks,  Bob]

Hello all. I am posting an inquiry that may shock, appall, or disgruntle some of you, but it is serious and in
earnest. I am a pre-professional journalist (graduate student NYU) looking to meet, interview, observe
and virtually immerse myself over the next three months in the life and work of a vodou practicioner -- manbo or
oungan -- living in New York City. In doing this, I hope to examine how the vodou tradition is being preserved and
practiced in the modern, cosmopolitan, urban context of New York, and how justified the myths surrounding it are. I
understand the subject is extremely sensitive so sources and secenes will be treated very carefully (anonymity is
possible for some). If anyone has a lead, or needs more information before divulging any, please email me at
gergana@journalist.com.

Thank you for your anticipated help.

--

Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com