24301: Esser (petition): Release Annette Auguste: Prisoner of Conscience in Petion-Ville (fwd)

From: D. Esser <torx@joimail.com>

The Petition Site
http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/263040597

February 2005

Release Annette Auguste: Prisoner of Conscience in Petion-Ville
Penitentiary, Haiti

Whereas, Annette Auguste, otherwise known by her performing name So
Ann, was arrested on May 10, 2004 by U.S. Marines following a violent
assault of her home which included the use of grenades and plastics
explosives;

Whereas, Auguste was arrested without a proper warrant in violation
of the Haitian constitution and has been held in a Haitian jail
without formal charges since May 10, 2004;

Whereas, Auguste has declared herself innocent and a Prisoner of
Political Conscience (POC) according to the definition espoused by
Amnesty International;

Whereas, Auguste has stated that Haitian authorities cannot release
her without approval of the Bush administration and the U.S. State
Department;

We, the undersigned, demand the U.S. government and the Haitian
government provide for the immediate and unconditional release of
Annette Auguste.

http://www.thePetitionSite.com/takeaction/263040597

Annette Auguste, "So Ann", popular Haitian singer and pro-democracy
activist has been imprisoned for her political beliefs since May 10,
2004. So Ann was arrested without a warrent by US Marines and has
been held in a crowded cell without official charges since her
arrest. So Ann is a 60 year old community activist in poor health
with many family and community responsibilties that she has been
unable to attend to during her imprisonment.  The US State Department
ultimately holds the key to So Ann's prison cell. For more
information on So Ann's case or to purchase an advance copy of her CD
to support her legal defense fund go to www.haitiaction.net and
follow the links. Please help promote justice and democracy in Haiti
by signing this petition. It takes 30 seconds and can make a
difference.

Thank you

To add your name to this petition go to:

      http://www.thePetitionSite.com/takeaction/263040597

*Signers may choose to hide their identity to the public.  Such names
will appear as "Anonymous" on the PetitionSite.com and advocacy
emails similar to this.

      "From my cell I am given hope by the many voices being raised
against the injustice the people of Haiti are being forced to suffer
today.  I send you all my love and gratitude for remaining strong in
separating the lies from truth in Haiti's current situation. I send
you all my blessings as a free Haitian woman fighting for the rights
of the impoverished majority in my homeland.  They may imprison my
body but they will never imprison the truth I know in my soul.  I
will continue to fight for justice and truth in Haiti until I draw my
last breath."

Annette Auguste "So Ann"
Petion-Ville Penitentiary
May 23, 2004