24432: Joseph: (reply to Kondrat, Pierre, and some thoughts on Haiti) (fwd)

From: Figaro Joseph <figarojoseph@hotmail.com>

Peter Kondrat’s analysis is excellent and ought to be the basis upon which
the discussion on how to get Haiti out of its quagmire begin.  Yes, Mr.
Aristide was the constitutional leader of Haiti and the way in which he was
removed from office was a coup.  Now, we can debate the definition of a coup
because those who have argued that Mr. Aristide resigned disagreed with the
coup argument.  I would venture to include in my definition of a coup—a
forced (or pressured) resignation as a result of actual or threats of
violence.   In this sense, the event of February 29th was a coup d’état.

For the next elections and toward pluralistic democracy—The Interim
government must make it absolutely clear that it wants all political
organizations in the country to participate in the elections—no exception.
It must also make it very clear that it will not tolerate anybody
interfering in the political process by harassing or threaten opponents.  I
know this may be easier than done but I do believe that the government can
muster the support to do this. It can begin to improve its standing on this
front by starting to take action against all armed groups in the country,
using the U.N. forces.  This should be done in some of the major area such
as Cap Haitien, Gonaives, St. Marc, Port-au-Prince, followed by some the
rural areas such as the Artibonite region.  The psychological impact of that
would be major for the population.  People would start realizing that the
government is serious.

Hyppolite Pierre made some good suggestions yesterday.  However, I disagree
with his advice to the Lavalas moderate, discouraging them not to put
forward a presidential candidate.  I would argue to the contrary.  The
Lavalas whatever is left of it should put forth a presidential candidate
just as any other political organization.  I would, in fact, advise them to
go further by putting forth a complete cadre of candidates—local, regional,
and national.  This would allow them to examine their strengthen and
weaknesses in different parts of the country.  They would then be able to
adjust from there.  I suspect that the Lavalassiens still have a
considerable about of support around the country.   While they may have
support, I do, however, believe that if they are to be successful, this time
they will need more than just the name.  They will need to put forth
respected leaders and viable platforms on issues.

Figaro Joseph