24662: VISHNUSURF (reply) re: 24660: Pichard re: 24659: VISHNUSURF re: 24656: jolierosey ...

VISHNUSURF@aol.com

I do realize that some people use this list for academic purposes -- namey minor queries, however, rather than argumentation, debate, or serious analytical inquiry. But I would hardly consider this anything like H-Net, or any other online academic forum whose contributors are generally all scholars debating scholarly topics. Then again, perhaps I have not been paying close enough attention, so if I am mistaken, then I apologize. Please do not misunderstand me here, for I greatly appreciate this list and have found much helpful information and insight scattered among all of the journalism (of wildly varying degrees of quality) and the demagoguery, along with all the tid bits of cool stuff Haitian food, music, soccer, etc...

Be that as it may, because I have been taken to task (twice now!), and although I already sited one source yesterday, though evidently not to Ms. Pichard's satisfaction or lofty standards, here are two other sources worthy of consideration regarding the questionability of some of the claims made by Afrocentricity:

Wilson Moses, _Afrotopia: The Roots of African American Popular History_ (Cambridge, 1998). Stephen Howe, _Afrocentrism: Mythical Pasts and Imagined Homes_ (Verso, 1998) And at the risk of sounding academic (heaven forbid!), those are two of the finest scholarly presses in the world. Read them for yourself and draw your own conclusions, if you like. My original point was really just to question a claim that Vodou is somehow an Egyptian religion. I do not find that the leading scholars of Vodou would accept this claim (Metraux, Desmangles, Brown, Hurbon, etc...). And where such claims are made, it is clearly as mythopoetics or comparative mythology, and /not/ as historiography.