24619: Mwe (reply) re: 24716: lyall (comment) prices

LOCCM@aol.com

I hesitate to reply because being critical provides no solutions but I offer my thoughts for whatever they are worth. Increasing prices for nearly everything in Haiti is causing drastic hardship for the poor. We recently took three children from a hut in Plaisance. The father was killed leaving the family with no food. The father in law starved first followed by the mother and the youngest baby. We took the two small girls and boy that were still clinging to life. They survived. Walking through the village nearest one of our orphanages, My wife and I found a young boy who was nearly dead from starvation. He was too fragile to lift so we picked him up by the sheet that he was lying on and took him to the hospital at the Baptist mission. They said that he was too far gone so we took him to the general hospital where he died two days later. I noticed on another post that a group proposes building a statue or monument to some brave Haitians. I respect their right to promote this project but could the money be spent buying food for the starving in honor of these heroes? I also cringed when I saw parks being built in Haiti when I felt that other projects would have been more beneficial for the poorest who are living in crisis. No apologies needed if you choose to not list this post.
John Ba Mwe