24798: Boswell (comment) re: 24792: Walker re: Bribes, etc. -- Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA)

Richard Boswell <boswellr@pacbell.net>

From:  Richard A. Boswell <boswellr@pacbell.net>

Thank you Mr. Walker for that post about the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA). I agree with everything except that I have my doubts about how far the U.S. will go in a prosecution in this era of perpetual war. The U.S. is on a war footing, in a war that is taking precedence over everything else. True, criminal prosecutions roll on in war time, but history tells us that corruption is also the great beneficiary in War. While lower level officials remain serious about these cases, the centralization of more prosecutorial decisions make it more likely that prosecutions will not pursued in the interest of "national security."

Richard A. Boswell
boswellr@pacbell.net