25376: RE: 25312: Davis (reply) to Cohen-Mitchell: Haitian pig scheme (fwd)

From: "Davis, Karen" <kdavis@marygrove.edu>

A brief account of this event is included under the subtitle "American Pigs" on p. 176-179 of Stewart Lee Allen's Book, In the Devil's Garden: A Sinful History of Forbidden Food. His only reference is: Jim Ridgeway and Billy Treger, "AIDing and abetting mayhem" November 1994 issue of Multinational Monitor.

There are two films on this event that I use in classes:
"A Pig's Tale" This film follows one man wandering around Haiti seeking out the truth of the story-fascinating, but perhaps a bit long. Originally poroduced by BBC's Channel 4, available through Crowing Rooster Arts,crowingrooster@juno.com, 180 W Broadway, Roon #302, NY, NY 10013, phone 212-334-6260. As I recall, it costs $80-90.

"Haiti's Piggy Bank" is the one I use more often in class. Produced by Grassroots International, it includes intro by Edwidge Danticat & interviews with USAID people, etc. Excellent film. You pay a low price for the film, but in return raise donations for the creole pig re-establishment project. Grassroots also sends print information to hand out as flyers, etc., which are great. See their website:
http://www.grassrootsonline.org/what_pigparty.html
You can order the film at 617-524-1400 or e-mailo them: pigs@grassrootsonline.org

An article in the Guardian by Desmond Cristy (Oct 24, 1997) entitled "Thi8s Little Piggy Went to Heaven" is in Bob Corbett's archive--it's basically a review of the Channel 4 production.

Hope this helps--Karen

Karen F. Dimanche Davis, Ph.D.
Associate Professor and Chair, Humanities Department
Marygrove College
8425 W. McNichols
Detroit, Michigan 48221, U.S.A.
Telephone: 313-927-1352