27395: Morse (comment) New York Times article on Haiti (fwd)

oloffsonram@aol.com

That was a nice piece by Bogdanich and Nordberg in the New York Times on
Haiti.

If I were to state Brian Dean Curran's legacy in Haiti, it would  be his
influence in convincing the French speaking sector of Haitian society
(sometimes
known as the Petionville crowd) to get involved publicly  in Haiti's political
process. Group of 184, Apaid, Baker; these are not  traditional public
players in Haitian politics, they're usually behind the  scenes players or
financiers.

Aristide was always willing to negotiate, especially as a stalling  tactic
and as a public relations tactic.

NEVER would Aristide apply anything that came out of a negotiation  unless it
was something he wanted before going into the negotiation.

Stanley Lucas' biggest ally in bringing down Aristide was Aristide himself.
Stanley couldn't have done it by himself. Civil society couldn't have done it
either. Aristide was the biggest player in his own downfall.

To blame the Republican or Democratic party doesn't make sense to  me because
by the time the Republicans took back the White House in  the 2000 elections,
American policy towards Haiti and Aristide had already  been established. I
think the last thing the Democrats did before leaving was  give Aristide a list

of 8 points that he had to apply to get back on  track.

Aristide's government caved in, and I believe it would have caved in under
Gore had he been President at the time. I wouldn't blame Lucas. Lucas may have

taken advantage of a situation but he couldn't have created the situation.

----- End forwarded message -----