27679: comment (Paryski): Haiti-Elections (fwd)

From: PPARYSKI@aol.com

It seems to me that there have been considerable unwarranted predictions
about the outcome of the election.  Although I personally believe that the
election of Rene Preval is the only chance for some peace and progress (if
Preval
show wisdom and restraint and can distance himself somewhat from Aristide and
his
gangs), by letting the electorate think that Preval has effectively been
elected when there might be a second round is courting disaster.  With Baker
protesting and the US prodding, the poor who voted for Preval might conclude
that
some manipulation has taken occurred Then there might be a risk of violence.

Paul Paryski