27769: Durban (news): Preval Press Conference (fwd)

L. Durban <lpdurban@yahoo.com> writes Feb 14th, 1:30 PM:

The following just forwarded by a friend, which she describes as her
very rough translation of a press conference given by Rene Preval just
now.  I did not hear the press conference, so cannot confirm accuracy,
etc, etc...

R. Preval Press Conference of Feb 14, 2006:

On Feb. 7th the Haitian people got up early to vote, walked for 4/5
hours in some instances and stood in line for 5/6 hours.

We in the Lespwa party asked the people not to respond to violence with
violence.  We are a party of peace.  Lespwa preached non violence and
non aggression to the other candidates/parties.

Every day Haitians have seen the results of the votes for the Lespwa
party going down without a reasonable explanation and the Haitian
people became very unhappy with that.

We met with the people involved, the CEP, the head of the Haitian
Govt,. the Intl. community and the Diplomatic Corps to talk about these
problems.  We are going to analyse the situation to see if we can sort
these problems out.

We are sure that there has been massive fraud and the election process
has been held hostage.  We do not agree with the figures. If they
publish these figures we in the Lespwa party will contest them. And if
the party contests them, then the Haitian people will contest them
also. Therefore to have harmony with the people we need to have clear
results.  We suggest that they STOP and examine the figures so as to
give exact results. But we want them to hear our arguments about the
results also, so we will be sitting with the Govt and the CEP to talk
with them about the problems.

WE know that the Govt. and the CEP were concerned mostly with having
good elections and that the will of the Haitian people would be shown,
but the Govt. etc. is now concerned about the violence.

WE led a campaign without violence and this led to many people becoming
sympathetic to our cause on the International front and others who were
lukewarm and not convinced by our cause. This forced the respect of the
Intl. Community and others.

Now I want to talk to you the Haitian people.

Haitians have the right to demonstrate ? but you must demonstrate
within the law. Respect people?s civil rights. WE can?t take away the
rights of other people ? by the same cause people can?t take away our
rights. They can?t take away our right to vote who we want in as
leader.

Do not block roads, damage people?s property, nor hurt other people?s
vehicles or their houses. If you stop a marchand working to bring food
to his children, we make enemies for our cause.  If you do that, the
ordinary people will be against you ? you will isolate them from
Lespwa. Let Chauffeurs work, don?t stop shops opening ? or we will
isolate ourselves and push people away. People ? this is not an order ?
don?t push people from you. Think about the strategy which is best for
you. Continue to gain sympathy from the Intl, and national communities.
People have said that we were violent which is not true. Have respect
for other people, honesty, respect for the property of other people,
for their belongings, their rights etc. whether its marchands, people
who work in factories etc., and we will continue our fight to the end.
We must build a political force so we can continue with our fight and
bring more and more people to our side. Don?t get mad, you can continue
to demonstrate but respect others.

The Haitian people are not kids, they are grown-up.

We want to think with them about the future ? we want them to be
mature, to be adults in their behaviour. We know that people are saying
the Lespwa are violent, and not the kind of people to run the country.
but we must not let people say this. Our stance is non violent, it is
peaceful.

We have to stand together. Be very vigilant. We did not give an order
to people. The people demonstrated spontaneously, it was not with
Lespwa?s orders.

2 aspects to consider ? Legal, and in this aspect we?re going to sit
down with the CEP.

We believe that we will win the first round. We will bring round to our
side those who are lukewarm.

It is a battle of the Haitian people. The people are frustrated and
they have a right to demonstrate.

Aspect Political ?   We?re going to sit down and discuss the problems
and bring out the right results. Let?s conduct our politics with
intelligence.

You have the right to demonstrate, but demonstrate in peace and in
order and with respect. Our enemies are happy with disorder and bad
things happening. Be careful of infiltration.

We say to the Political leaders of other parties ? take note of what
I?m saying.

I received a call from Kofi Annan last nite and I told him I was going
to tell the Haitian people all these points.

Isolate yourself from the people who want to be violent and who don?t
want democracy.

The Lespwa party, in analyzing certain aspects of the elections, are
sure we will win the first round. The party will continue the right of
the people and every vote that every Haitian gave ? with sacrifices.

Continue until we have the victory. Thank you,