27839: (news) Chamberlain: Haiti-Bio Box-Preval (fwd)

From: Greg Chamberlain <GregChamberlain@compuserve.com>

   By The Associated Press

   NAME -- Rene Preval
   AGE -- 63. Born Jan. 17, 1943.
   HOMETOWN -- Port-au-Prince, but considers Marmelade, in the rural north,
his hometown.
   EDUCATION -- Agronomist, studied in Belgium.
   EXPERIENCE -- Prime minister, 1991; fled into exile when President
Jean-Bertrand Aristide was ousted in 1991 and returned with him in 1994;
Haiti's president 1996-2001.
   FAMILY -- Divorced, two daughters.
   PLATFORM -- Preval's party, Lespwa, Haitian Creole for "hope," has
pledged to restore security and help rebuild the country's infrastructure
and economy.
   QUOTE -- "We will not be able to do everything right away, but we are
determined to do our best and raise the standard of living for the people
of Haiti."