27926: Senou: Comment: A Call for a Coalition and a Unity government (fwd)

From: Senou <senou@yahoo.com>

A Call for a Coalition and a Unity government

The election is over and the elected president is the
president of all Haitians. My fellow Haitian citizens
regardless of where you stand on the axes, whether you
are from extreme right to extreme left, and whether
you are from the center we have to work together to
salvage Haiti. Whether you are living in the Diaspora
or in the mainland, we have to work together.

Yesterday is history; today what can we do to assist
the country and you have a choice to make. Do you want
the situation to remain as it is or do you want to
change it and make it better for the future
generation?

We spent two hundred years of blaming each other and
taking revenges and now it is about time to change
course. The elected president needs to follow Mandela
footsteps in order to bring Haiti back to the world of
nations. He needs to establish a bridge between those
?who have? and those ?who have not?; he needs to
establish a bridge between the Haitian nationals
living in Haiti and outside of Haiti.

In calling for a coalition and an inclusive
government, the elected president shall invite many
former candidates to play an active role in the
government. The participation of the elite is crucial.
Make no mistake about it, you need the elite. Now to
have a balance, the president should bring someone who
is not controversial to represent the mass.  Also, the
Diaspora needs to be included. And ipso facto, put in
place a consensus or a coalition government.

There are trouble-makers from both sides, quelqu?un
rejeté au départ est appelé à devenir un danger pour
n?importe quel système and the Haitian people have a
culture of not accepting defeat. Instead having all
these folks as adversaries, it could be great to give
them something to do. In doing so, they can be
monitored. The bottom line, the new government cannot
start with controversy. Folks, you are all Haitians
and friends of Haiti and you know the problem, deal
with it gradually and keep everyone happy.

I call upon the political actors in Haiti to give the
country a second chance. Before anything can be done
in Haiti, there must be some stability in the
political arena. In the United States, there were
controversy in the 2000 presidential election; the
High court settled that issue. In Haiti, there is a
winner and Canada, France, the United States, the
United Nations, Caricom and the people who had voted
massively for the elected president are satisfied with
the result. And therefore, this election is a thing in
the past and it is not up to discussion.

Many political promises were made and the people had
voted with the hope that some of them will be
materialized. The president needs to let the people
know that he is going to work on it but it will take
some time. Some preparations need to be made and some
tangible action must be taken. Therefore, I call upon
each of you to act in the benefit of the country and
not trying to please the thirst of selected
individuals.

First, the new Haitian government and the new Haitian
congress shall give a general amnesty that shall cover
all Haitian Nationals without exception from anything
committed from 1804 up to now. And ipso facto give
every single Haitian a second chance. Free all
prisoners with the exception of violent criminals,
Reform in depth the judicial system and train and
retrain the magistrates and Restructure the police
national.  Again, the police national must be
restructured. According to the article 26 of the
Haitian constitution:
ARTICLE 26:

?No one may be kept under arrest more than forty-eight
(48) hours unless he has appeared before a judge asked
to rule on the legality of the arrest and the judge
has confirmed the arrest by a well-founded decision.?

This was not respected and many people are still in
jail; I call upon this up coming government to release
all prisoners with the exception of violent criminals.

The world thought that there were going to have a
blood bath when Mandela won the presidency in South
Africa. Instead, he created a Reconciliation
Commission that was led by Bishop Tutu and that
Commission gave an unconditional amnesty to everyone
who confessed of his/her crimes.

On Tuesday, February 7, 2006, the world was prepared
to watch violence in Haiti but instead they saw long
lines of peaceful voters coming from everywhere.
Please, do not look at my Haitian brothers and sisters
as second class citizen. We did great things in the
past and we will repeat them again. The fact that
people did not have a chance to go to school does not
mean that they are idiot and the fact that people are
living in less privileged areas does not mean that
they are violent.

The elected president has no other choice but to
follow Mandela footsteps.  According to the CEP he
merely won with 50% and this is a fact. You can give
your own estimate but for the sake of this discussion
we need to remain on the official certification.

Many people and key players may be upset; the elected
president needs to give them some time to cool down.
As you know, the CEP was formed without lavalas and if
the government waited a little longer, lavalas would
have sent a representative member.  Back channel
diplomacy is a must and the president must ask whoever
he is going to appoint as prime minister to form a
Coalition and a Unity government. The president needs
to remember that he is now the president of all
Haitians and not to a particular sector.

The new Haitian government needs to maintain a
friendly relation with the United States, Canada,
France, Venezuela, Cuba, and Jamaica and so on.
Opening more consulates in the US and Canada and make
sure that these consulates are not there only to make
passports but to expose Haiti positively in the area
and to bring tourists and investors.

I hope the new Haitian government and this new
congress use this momentum to launch the country.
A coalition and a unity government is a good way to
start
A general amnesty to all
A Reconciliation National with a National Dialogue
We are all Haitian Nationals:
The new Haitian Congress must amend the constitution
and remove articles 13 and 15

The Haitians in the Diaspora need to organize like the
Jews. At this moment, we are scattered throughout the
U.S. and Canada and there are no link among us. There
are no link among those who are living within the same
state and city. We operate individually and within our
own group and this need to change.

 Since we are talking about Unity but we want to see
it in your action. Haitian Nationals living in New
York, New Jersey, Boston, Georgia, Florida, Montreal,
Orlando, California, Connecticut, Dakar, Paris, North
and South Carolina, Maryland, Washington DC and so on
need to organize within their own city and state and
link with others states and cities. It would be ideal
to have an organization similar to the United Way, but
we don?t. Instead, organize yourself within first your
city and county and then link with surrounding
counties.
We need to work on our disagreements and join hands to
work positively for a better Haitian community in our
respective area and assist the motherland as well.

Folks, I urge you to get together and work together
and not ?onegether?  and change the face of the land
of  Toussaint Louverture. Now, it is time to get to
work. International troops are in Haiti: do they build
automatic public toilets along the roads and the
cities? No. Do you see rest areas in various major
roads in the U.S.? Yes; and when you  travel from
Miami to Orlando, Jacksonville, Atlanta, New York,
Boston, Chicago, Montreal, do you use them? Yes; we
need to build rest areas along the major roads and in
various cities in Haiti.  Can you team up with people
in your area and build at least one public toilet?
Yes, you can. And therefore, we need to translate
words into action.

Joe Alfred
P.O. BOX 1022
Douglasville, GA 30133