28003: (comment) Chamberlain: 27988: Morse: International Press Provocateur (fwd)

From: Greg Chamberlain <GregChamberlain@compuserve.com>

Morse wrote:

I find all this international press coverage of former president Aristide
a bit strange. Is he paying AP and Reuters for all this coverage. (...)
Give me a break Mr and Mrs LaPresse Internationale. I hear the
Aruba trial is starting up again, this time in New York. Go cover that!!!
This generation of reporters never would have broken Watergate. You're
being  used by Aristide. Grow up.

With great respect to my friend Richard, let's not waste time flogging that
dead horse of supposed conspiracies in the media.  One swallow (Fox News,
for example) doesn't make a summer.  Nor can Delva be fairly accused of
inserting his sympathies into his Reuter stories.  Neither is the media in
this case "stirring up things when they have nothing else to do" as Math
Jay suggests.  Absurd.

What Aristide wants and what he's going to do is a legitimate and urgent
matter of interest to anyone the least concerned with Haiti, on whatever
side.  I want to know all about it, so I'm very glad reporters are asking
him and thus doing their job properly.

I also want to know the thoughts and intentions of the likes of jailed
ex-PM Neptune, ex-interior minister Privert (supposedly behind the December
2003 university invasion when the rector's legs were deliberately broken)
and sweet "grandmother" and "well-known folk-singer" Annette "Steel
Magnolia" Auguste (reportedly a paymaster/organiser of the chimères).

People too often think those they disagree with or oppose shouldn't be
reported on.  Yet they never include themselves in that audience for
sanitised news and it's: "I can know about this, but the rest of you
can't."  Personally, I want all the information I can get and everyone else
must have access to it as well.

I hope the media will tell us whether Aristide, who was restored to power
in 1994 by US troops (a few months after swearing that he would "never
never never" agree to that), will be protecting himself yet again with an
expensive white US security militia rather than Haitians.

These are not matters that some contributors to this list are publicly
interested in, or indeed think we have any right to be interested in.  Any
more than the likes of our friends Rossier and Mr PhD candidate Sprague are
interested in telling us if they have ever been to Haiti rather than being
"guided" by the Stalinists of Big Ben's Haiti Progrès.

        Greg Chamberlain