re 28080 Labrom re pickpockets in Jacmel (fwd)

From Jacqui Labrom

Well Joanne - I do know how to cope with pickpockets. You only need to have
been in the Tube in London to know how to do that and I personally didn't
get robbed, and although I had told one woman to put her little rucksack in
front of her instead of on her back, another woman whom I hadn't realized
had a rucksack on her, got it slashed with a knife. Fortunately for her
although it cut through two layers, it didn't penetrate the last vital layer
where she would have lost everything. In a crowd like there was in Jacmel
with us trying to walk through the crowd to get to our bus, it was
impossible not to be jostled and pushed and anything can happen without you
realizing it in these situations. One of the military guys (not in uniform I
hasten to add) who lost his passport and money from his jeans pocket was
'attacked' by 3 people; one pushed him in the chest, one grabbed his arm,
and presumably the third person pickpocketed him. Other people had their
bags completely cut open from the bottom WITHOUT them realizing it!

Even if there were security guards in the crowd it could not stop this sort
of thing happening as these people are very clever at their 'job'.

Jacqui Labrom

VOYAGES LUMIERE SA
email: voyageslumiere@haitelonline.com

Tel.(00 509) 249-6177/557-0753 (cell)