28098: Morse (comment) Has Bush Lost Haiti? Pt.2 (fwd)

_oloffsonram@aol.com_ (mailto:oloffsonram@aol.com)

When I do political analysis I usually divide Haiti into 2. The 80%  and the
20%. Traditionally the 20% has been in charge of the economy and the  power.
We can see what a mess they've left us with. Traditionally the 20% is the
sector that deals with Washington and gets all the lucrative economic
contracts

coming through the ports and the factories. What we have learned during the
process of democratization is that the 80% wins elections and they have
rejected, as incompetent, the 20%. Just take a look at Haiti's infrastructure,

economy and education system. That should say it all.
 If Washington continues favoring the 20%, the schizophrenic  relationship
between the 2 countries will continue. Its time to address the 80%  and their
needs, instead of strangling them to appease the 20% who, though they  lobby
well, obviously have never done anything for Haiti. Haiti can be  taken as a
metaphor for most of Latin America. The 80% is the future, the 20% is  the
past.