28175: Frank Eaton (announce): a Kreyol Music Video online! (fwd)

From: Frank Eaton <frankeaton@mac.com>

I've never been more pleased to announce the completion of a piece of my own work; usually I wouldn't even mention it, especially not in a learned forum such as this, but the pedigree of this small film is pretty interesting.

I was hired in December to shoot a music video for a young Haitian musician named Belo.  I heard his album and found it to be vast and mature, rooted in solid song-writing, and the artist himself to be a consummate gentleman and savvy purveyor of his craft.

In short, I was out-classed, and knew an opportunity when I saw it.

We began shooting on December 27th at the overlook in Bouteliers.  On the 28th, my partner and I were kidnapped.  On New years eve, I was released (my partner the following day) and on the 2nd of January I left the country.

Sitting at home in North Carolina with half a Haitian music video started to rankle me immediately.  The kidnapping had been expensive and pointless; in addition, it had interrupted this totally enjoyable collaboration.

So on March 7th, I went back and we finished the video for "Lakou Trankil" in Croix de Bouquets the following week.  The song couldn't be more apropos.  There's even a "shout-out" to Cite Soley at the end!

So it gives me great, GREAT pleasure to crow! to the world, to brag on my little company, to celebrate the music of my friend Belo and the guts of my partner Alain: we were LUCKY to be alive, but it was GUMPTION that got this thing finished. That ridiculous kidnapping couldn't stop it.

It is my continued pleasure and my extreme honor to serve Haitian musicians in Haiti.

Here's the link:

http://www.myspace.com/frankenbilly

Enjoy,

Frank Eaton