28248: Craig (reply) re: 28240: Morse (Comment) illegals: Hispanic and Haitian (fwd)

From:   Dan Craig

Castro came to power at the height of the Cold War, when McCarthy & Co. convinced many that anyone who could spell 'Democrat' was a commie. The actions of President Kennedy and the Congress in the early 60s may have made sense at the time, but unfortunately haven't been significantly modified over the decades. That's why US citizens can travel to Cuba; but if we're caught spending money there without dispensation from the Department of the Treasury, we can be charged with a violation of the Trading With the Enemy Act. Not a comforting thought with the Patriot Act in place and the Department of Homeland Security going beserk.

If Papa Doc had kissed up to the USSR instead of the US of A, Haitian immigrants to this country would be treated as well as the Cubans, and other countries like The Bahamas wouldn't be spending valuable resources repatriating wayward Haitians who will, most likely, keep on trying over and over to get here.