28615: Sprague (Comment) Further on Peter Dailey

 From J.Sprague  <jebsprague@mac.com>

Peter Daily writes that Sprague "sasks" where is the "'overwhelming
evidence' of FL's complicity.."
Peter Daily misquotes me.  Here is what I asked:   "Where is this
'overwhelming evidence? of government sanction?"
See Corbett List 28593 for the proper quote.  This question still
stands having not been answered by RV(Deibert)  or yourself.

Next off, I want to point out  that Anoop Singh's statement
acknowledges that the Latortue and transitional government was
working closely with their economic vision for Haiti.  And I quote
(DIRECTLY)  from  Anoop Singh's 7/20/04 statement in his first
point:  "I was very encouraged by the presentation that was just made
by Prime Minister Latortue that augurs well for the success of this
conference.  His government's commitment to work closely with the
international community to secure political and economic stability
will help create the necessary opportunities for the Haitian people
to build a better and more prosperous future."   On his 4th point he
writes, "The response of the transition government has been key to
maintaining macroeconomic stability."  In the 5th point Singh makes
the statement, "However, recent expenditure cuts have been very
ambitious and have adversely affected the ability of the authorities
to deliver basic public services."

I explain again. Third time is the charm.  Only from firing real
workers would you receive a decline of basic public services when you
are discussing expenditure cuts.  This does not mean that ghost
workers could have also been or not been fired.  What it does mean,
is that real workers were in fact fired.  Check out Michael Parkin's
Sixth Edition Macroeconomics (University of Western Ontario, 2003)
for a basic understanding of how macroeconomic priorities work.  Of
course unions should have the right to strike and utilize collective
bargaining. I suggest you check out Kim Scipes' labor bibliography on
the AFL-CIO foreign policy at <http://faculty.pnc.edu/kscipes/
LaborBib.htm>  and as I state in my Labor Notes article "The most
prominent international labor organizations active in Haiti, the
ICFTU, AFL-CIO, ILO, and ORIT, working to support and strengthen
labor unions that agitated for the ousting of Haiti?s democratically
elected government, have simultaneously refused to condemn the
massive layoffs and persecution of public sector workers and trade
unionists committed by its illegally-imposed successor."