28614: Morse (comment) Teleco (fwd)

_oloffsonram@aol.com_ (mailto:oloffsonram@aol.com)

Once members of the Haitian government (not the government itself) started
investing in cell phones and cell phone cards, they no longer had an interest
in  a smooth running Teleco. They personally profited more when people bought
cell  phones and phone cards. Though Teleco never ran like a Swiss watch, it
almost  stopped running altogether with the entrance of the cell phones into
the

 marketplace. The question is, <now what?>. I'm not sure Teleco can compete
in this new market place. New phone lines into crowded neighborhoods? People
are  getting used to carrying their phones around. Now we just have to 1)
figure out  who the best providers are, and 2) make sure there's enough
competition
to keep  the services up and the prices down.