28722: Fonda (announcement): Haiti Solidarity Conference, Miami, FL, Sept 8-10, 2006 (fwd)

From David Fonda:

July 2005

Dear Friends of Fonkoze:

As Fonkoze investors, donors, and supporters…as delegates and partner organizations…as Haitian-American communities and parishes twinned with Haitian churches…

We warmly invite you to join us for an important event:

		Fonkoze USA’s Haiti Solidarity Conference
	September 8, 5:00 PM -- September 10, 2006, 10:00 AM
			at the Miami Airport Hilton

This momentous gathering will bring together committed individuals and organizations from Haiti, Haitians living abroad, and faith communities throughout the U.S. Why a conference now, and what do we hope to accomplish? Fonkoze wants to build on this year of renewed hope in Haiti to: • provide a firsthand update on the work of Fonkoze and on the situation in Haiti; • learn about creative ways partners, individuals and organizations are working in Haiti; • provide opportunities for conference participants to hear firsthand what life is like for Haitian women and for Haitians living in the U.S.; • enjoy the Haitian culture, food, and music of Miami as we get to know one another better; and • generate awareness of and support for Fonkoze’s micro-credit and literacy programs for women in Haiti.

The Haiti Solidarity Conference will be held at the Hilton Miami Airport, a family friendly hotel located on a 100 acre lagoon only 3 miles from the airport at 5101 Blue Lagoon Drive, Miami, FL. Hilton amenities include free airport shuttle service, swimming pool, health club and tennis courts. The facility is beautiful, so bring the whole family and stay over on Sunday!

Please make hotel arrangements by calling the Hilton Miami Airport at 1-305-262-1000 or 1-800-445-8667. Tell them you are with the Fonkoze conference. Single rooms are $99 per night (plus tax). Double rooms at the conference site are only $109 per night (plus tax), therefore rooming with a friend makes more sense. Hotel reservations and travel arrangements are up to you. Meals and program are up to us.

Conference registration cost is $150, and covers the costs of meals and program. Please make checks payable to Fonkoze USA and mail, with your name and address, phone, e-mail and organization to Fonkoze USA, 305 Seventh Avenue, 15th Fl., New York, NY 10001. For additional information e-mail Kathy Wright, SL at kwright@fonkoze.org or John Mercier at jmercier@fonkoze.org, or call the Fonkoze USA office at 212-822-9553, or toll free at 888-921-5726.

Here’s a little taste of what we plan to provide:
• An interesting and dynamic key-note speaker (Dr. Paul Farmer has agreed to attend if his schedule permits); • An opportunity to meet with Father Joseph Philippe, founder of Fonkoze, and Anne Hastings, Director of Fonkoze;
	• Ecumenical worship and fellowship;
	• Passionate discussions about “what’s ahead for Haiti?”
	• Haitian food, music, and literature;
	• Sharing of information about your work with conference participants;
• Exhibits provided by organizations working in Haiti (maybe your group?)
	• Interaction with Fonkoze clients, board members, staff, and partners;
	• Screening of a new Fonkoze video; and more…

We look forward to your participation in this conference. We know that coming together – working together – creates opportunities to enhance our collective efforts in Haiti. So let’s do it!

Let’s send a message to Haiti and to Haitians that they are not forgotten. Let’s renew our energy by gathering together in solidarity and faith.

Kenbe,

Anne Hastings
For the Fonkoze Family

Solidarity Conference Committee