28770: Clement: (discuss) What advice would you give... (fwd)

From: Cara Clement <caraclement@yahoo.com>

Recently my husband was asked to be the "paren" (sp?) of a high school graduation in Port-au-Prince. As part of his responsibilities, he was to give the commencement address to the graduates.

I attended the ceremony with him, and particularly enjoyed the presentation of each of the graduates. Each graduate had written a brief biography which included their likes, dislikes, dreams, etc which was read during the presentation of their diplomas.

It was interesting to hear about their dreams - particularly their career choices. Some were slightly off color - particularly a handful of young men who said they dreamed of becoming gynecologists so that they can "help women with their problems". I'm not convinced that their intentions were completely honorable...

In any case, what I found to be particularly interesting was the number who said they plan on studying Diplomacy, so that they can work in the future as a Diplomat. I'd guess that close to 50% of the students said that was their future goal. I'd like to know how many of these students will end up finding jobs after they graduate? How many diplomats does the country employ? Whatever school out there is giving out diplomas in Diplomacy must be doing quite well...

My main question to the list members is this: If you had to give advice to a Haitian high school student, what would you encourage them to study? Let's put aside dreams and aspirations for a moment, and concentrate instead on what is practical. What subjects can young Haitian students study which will actually translate into a job in the years to come?

Or am I completely off base, and the country is going to have a need for hundreds (or potentially thousands) of diplomats in the years to come?

  Thoughts?

  Cara Clement