29052: Morse (reply) A. Ferndinand/the press (fwd)

 oloffsonram@aol.com

1) Please, do not "shut your trap".

2) To get an idea of Haiti from abroad, if it's at all possible, you have to make a collage of all the information you attain from different sources, and in time learn how to interpret the sources and the information. It may be best to talk to some one who's been there recently who doesn't have a political agenda. Some one from the south may have a different view than some one from the north. Some one from Delmas may have a different view than some one from Paco.

3) I had a friend who wanted to be a professional photographer so he came to Haiti (this is the late '80's) and waited for a coup. I gave him a special rate and was here for 4 or 5 months. When the coup finally came, he risked his life for three days getting up close pictures of tanks on Delmas and people shooting at each other. At the end of the third day he was having drinks at the Oloffson bar and you could see he was totally spent. After a bit of time General Avril came on the television behind the bar and my friend snapped Avril's picture right there on the television. The picture was published in Time or Newsweek and thus a career in photography was launched.

Richard Morse