29796: Morse (response) Loveayiti re Miami (fwd)

 oloffsonram@aol.com

Dear Love,

I understand your view from Miami. Let me try and give you some perspective. My band performs songs, a lot of which are inspired by Haitian folklore. When I'm among the masses, I'm made to feel very comfortable. When I'm at the Haitian Cultural Ministry (where they prefer their French roots) or Petionville (where they're trying to get American roots) or whatever, there's a bit of discomfort. You're in Miami. Of course there's Haiti fatigue. Miami Cubans don't want to deal with Haitians. They don't want them coming in. I know a Haitian, with a legal tourist visa, that didn't break any laws, who was sent to Krome Detention Center where he died. Would that have ever happened to a Cuban... The Havana Cuban doctors remove a bit of the daily stress in Haiti. A serious trade bill would go a long way to help get rid of some of this "Haiti fatigue".