29879: Labrom comments on 29869: Gilles (asks) Energy in Haiti (fwd)

From voyageslumiere@haitelonline.com

An interesting bit of information that many of you may not know - the main carrefour at the Airport road and Delmas, plus the carrefour in PVille - St. Therese church and rue Rebecca I think it is, have now got traffic lights courtesy of solar panels high up on a concrete post. (Hopefully they're high enough up that no-one can steal them!!!)
During a visit to Miami over New Year's I spoke (in Creole) on two Haitian radio stations about tourism, and following my second radio station visit there was a speaker (energy consultant) talking about solar energy in Haiti and he mentioned these two sites of solar energy which were working very well.  I forget the dollar amount he mentioned but it wasn't very expensive at all. He said that he was in discussion with the Govt. about the electrification of other major public areas in Haiti - not just in Port-au-Prince. I think the Radio station had got him to come and speak in the light of the 'blackout' during Preval's speech in Gonaives!
Jacqui Labrom

Voyages Lumière SA
Journeys for the enlightened traveler
email: voyageslumiere@haitelonline.com