29907: kathleen(partial reply)Re: 29905: Meta (Re:) Dr. Ertha Pascal-Trouillot (fwd)

From: Kathleen Burke <kathleendantor@verizon.net>

I can speak only to the question of color.
When looking for a particular person in Papay, the Haitian would ask me to describe what color of skin. I would reply I wasn't sure. One person, Mario, explained to the others that Americans were like that: black was black. I think I am taken aback when a blond person describes himself as black, but that is what happens in America. There are not different words for different skin shades as there are in Haiti. I personally wonder if this comes from the 1/16 rule in Louisiana - any more than that and you were black? Kathleen