30085: Emersberger (reply to Deibert)

From: Jemersberger@aol.com

Regarding Deibert's defence of his very real attack on So Ann in his
book, I wrote that "his book" implicates her in various serious
crimes. In some cases Deibert attacked her directly - as with the
Madame Max comparison, the "rancid underbelly" remark, and his
references to her "leading the chimere" [p 318]. In others cases
Deibert uncritically circulated allegations against her spread by
others.

http://zope06.v.servelocity.net/hjs/sections/usa_world/document.
2006-04-23.1836431497
[In the piece Deibert linked to above he launched a nasty, innuendo
laden attack on Patrick Elie which contradicts how Deibert portrayed
him in his book. Elie is described respectfully as a man who led the
calls for Jean Dominque's killers to be captured and who "shook his
head" at behaviour of Famni Lavalas supporters.[p 203, 285] Elie
called Deibert a "liar" for the head shaking passage.[see the Deibert/
Podur Znet debate] Deibert's counterattack was predictable and it
hardly bolsters the credibility of his book or his reporting,

Deibert continues to attack Amanus Maette based on the NCHR (aka
RNDDH) account of the La Scierie case.

Thierry Fagart, director of the human rights section of the United
Nations Stabilization Mission in Haiti (MINUSTAH) , (hardly a Lavalas
partisan) had this to say in an interview in March of 2006 regarding
the allegations by RNDDH that a "massacre" had been perpetrated by
Aristide partisans at La Scierie:

"... I don’t want to say that they are not a real human rights NGO,
but I think that for this particular case, they have failed. It’s a
real failure. It’s a lack of responsibility. "

Fagart also stated

"According to the official version, the victims of the massacre had
been killed by Aristide’s party.  But I don’t agree with this point
of view.  I think, and I am not the only one, because there are these
independent experts, appointed by Kofi Annan for the human rights in
Haiti, which was a publicly stated for him, it was just a fight
between two different gangs, two different sides, you know, according
to [our data]… You have on one side, Bale Wouze, which was a popular
organization belonging to Lavalas and on the other side, Ramicose,
which was an organization close to the opposition."
For the full interview with Fagart see
http://www.haitianalysis.com/2007/2/22/theirry-fagart-on-the-la-
scierie-massacre

It says a lot when your story is so full of holes that the UN won't
even stand behind it.