30328: lyall (comment) Richard Visits the North

Jedidiah writes:

Nice to read Richards' account of visiting the North. I used to hang out there, fly into Cap Haitian International, etc. I visited Milot again the last time I was up there. That was before my daughter Roxanne was born in the ti lopital on Ave Populard. That neighborhood has been no-go for blan for some time now.

I was talking back then about the need for an actual guest house in Milot. Maybe grab some of the German tourists who come on the bus from the DR. Has the road to the border been repaired? Probably not.

I did observe the lack of agriculture on plaine du nord back in 1999 or so. Vast amounts of food could still come out of there, but it mostly sits idle. They say the owners are in the dyaspora.

I had heard that Okap is pretty derelict since the battles of Feb 2004. That is a shame. Okap used to be notable for the way that the citizens got out and swept their own streets instead of blaming someone else for not doing anything about it.

I used to like staying in the peoples hotel, the Universal. Backpacker tourists would show up there. It was $12 a night or so; a reasonable rate that one cannot find in Port.

My Sister in law reported to us that the town remains derelict. So sad.

Driving back south takes you thru Plaisance, one of the most wonderful places.