12860: Re: 12841: re:priesthood

please post this anonymously.

I grew up in a poor but academically ambitious family in the US, and
entered the convent because of deep spiritual  yearnings. After a number
of years I left the order to pursue my commitment to social justice
outside, where I thought I could be more effective. One of my aunts
accused me of having gone into the convent only in order to get an
education...

it amazed me that anyone would think that... In fact, I'd already had
offers from wealthy relatives to put me through college, scholarships from
regional and state regional colleges, and an invitation from a local
community college to attend, tuition free.

Although Aristide may have many faults. I think it's grossly unfair and
mean-spirited to challenge his motivation for becoming a priest... What
he's done since then is anybody's guess.