12022: Now What? (fwd)

From: Stay Strong <kenbefo2004@yahoo.com>

In post 12017, Robert Smith asks what happened to
those on the list who proclaim their love of peace,
freedom, and free speech.  We are still here -- maybe
just "gone quiet" for a while in light of post #12014
earlier today from Fr. Graves, regarding the threats
he has received.  It seems plain enough that one
should give careful thought to the contributions that
one makes to this list in order to advance the
discussion, rather than hinder it.  On that note, Marc
Villain wrote very wise words in his post #12021,
where he stated that "Public discourse without a
purpose is just noise."

And so, what is the purpose?  That prompts the title
I've given this e-mail.  One of my professors once
said that I should not attempt any research or
understanding of social issues without asking the
question of who benefits and who gets hurt.  Simple
enough on the surface, but the deeper meaning is that
there is no event in this world in which I am the only
person affected or involved.  We are all related to
each other, and what we do and say profoundly affects
those around us, both near and far.  This is not just
about "me," and whether or not I'm happy, satisfied,
and -- as the modern value system goes -- rich.  Every
action each person carries out and every word each
person speaks or writes will affect others.  On that
note, I ask for Haiti, "now what?"  More particularly,
as an American citizen concerned about Haiti, I ask,
"now what?"

Also from my perspective as an American citizen, I am
very concerned about the immediate future for Haiti.
Conflict is raging not only in Haiti.  Today our
papers reported a significant split in our own
administration regarding Iraq.  In the "realpolitik"
of the world, that's the "big game" right now.  It's
disturbing how easily we think we can go rearrange the
furniture in everyone else's house, and now there is
discord within our own government about it.  If that's
the "big game," how much simpler it will be to
straighten out Haiti's house in the blink of an eye.
That is what I fear.  These are the kinds of times
when things are terribly unstable, and as one person,
I can only try to add my voice.  I would just like
friends in Haiti to know that there is one U.S.
citizen up north who hasn't forgotten, and who will
continue to add my voice.