13562: Blanchet: Fw: Pres. Aristide's Dessaline speech on Oct. 17, 2002 (fwd)

From: Max Blanchet <MaxBlanchet@worldnet.att.net>

MESSAGE FROM MR. JEAN-BERTRAND ARISTIDE, PRESIDENT OF THE REPUBLIC, ON THE
OCCASION OF THE COMMEMORATION OF THE 196th ANNIVERSARY OF DESSALINES' DEATH

Honor and respect for the founder of our Nation, Emperor Jean-Jacques
Dessalines the Great!

Salute to the father of all Haitians, Jean-Jacques Dessalines the Great!

Prime Minister of the country,
All Ministers,
Secretary of State in the Government,
All authorities who are here with me,

Together with the First Lady, we bow low in front of Father Dessalines, and
in front of all of Dessalines' sons and daughters who live here in Marchand
Dessalines, and we say: Good Morning!

I am happy to greet the mayor of Marchand Dessalines. I am happy to greet
the
Senators, Deputies and all the mayors who came to celebrate with us,
celebrate our conviction and Father Dessalines' conviction, and all other
elected members: Azek, Cazek in the Artibonite who are here with us. We are
happy to embrace you, as children of the same father, and together, let's
stretch our arms towards our Father's statue and tell him: Good morning
Father Dessalines!

Help me stretch our arms towards this statue to say: Good morning Father
Dessalines!

I would like to see many hands on the left side, on the right side, stretch
together towards the statue.

Good morning Father Dessalines!

Salute to you, Father Dessalines!

Salute to Haiti!

Salute to Marchand Dessalines!

We thank all religious authorities who made great efforts to do some
cleaning
so this day could be so beautiful. In particular Father Leobert.

We thank all judicial authorities. All of those who helped to give us such a
warm welcome. I am so happy to see what I see here, all of you gathered
together. I suppose that many people who came with me feel the same way when
they see the number of people gathered here and how beautiful it is!

If I could borrow your hands, I would applaud for you. If you lend me your
hands, I will applaud for you.

Thank you because you help me thank you.

Thank you because you help me thank you.

Last year, I wished I was here. But since I was in Gonaïves for September
30,
it was hard to come back here for October 17. But I had told you that I
wouldn't miss it this year. And indeed, I am here with you and I am happy to
be with you. Thank you for your welcome.

Before I talk about things concerning Marchand Dessalines, I would like to
know if you would be happy if I speak to the entire country?

Very well!

In what year did our Father Dessalines give us independence?

In what year?

January 1st, 1804.

How many years will it be since 1804 in 2004?

200 years! Does every Haitian knows who our Father Dessalines was?

Would you like all Haitians to know our Father Dessalines better?

All Haitians living in the mountains, in the North, in the South, in the
East, in the West, and even Haitians living abroad, if you would like to
know
this great man better raise your hands for me to see.

Thank you. That means you give me the permission to tell all the Haitian
people who our Father Dessalines was.

That's what I will do. Afterwards, I will speak with you from Marchand
Dessalines in particular to tell you what will be done in Marchand
Dessalines.

Dessalines was born in Grande-Rivière-du-Nord in 1758. His given name was
Duclès. But he chose to take his second master's name which was Dessalines.
That's how he became known as Dessalines. He spent his youth in
bone-breaking
slavery, being hit and thrown down by sticks. Dessalines never forgot that
period of his life. When he was 33 years old, he decided to break those
chains of slavery. The law of freedom danced in his head. Dessalines was
angry, the earth shook. He wanted freedom for himself and freedom for
everyone. That's how he got close to Boukman in 1791. He was very close to
Jean-François, Biassou, Ogé, Chavannes. It is in this battle that Dessalines
was promoted.

In October 1794, under a recommendation from Toussaint Louverture, Governor
Lavaud named him head of the battalion.

In the year 1795, he became a Colonel and in 1797, he was promoted to
Brigadier General.

On June 1802, General Leclerc arrested Toussaint and his whole family and
left for France with them. Since Toussaint wasn't there anymore, Dessalines
had to take over.

But how was he going to continue his battle for independence? Each time he
saw the scars on his body, it gave him full strength to say that as long as
these scars remained on his body, he would keep going all the way. As a
brave
man, he gave us independence. But white colonists never agreed with the
black
people of Haiti's independence nor with their right to enjoy the wealth of
the country. I hear some people say that it's still like that up until now.

Dessalines had chosen Marchand Dessalines to be the capital of Haiti. But
almost 200 years later, the former capital still doesn't look the way
Jean-Jacques Dessalines wanted the capital to look.

After independence, Dessalines saw how colonists wanted to challenge it and
return  to the chains of slavery. But he kept on fighting so slavery
wouldn't
return in the country.

This way, in February 1804, when Dessalines went from Cayes to Jérémie, he
gave Geffrard the order to get all white people under control. From Corail
Pestel, going through Petit-Trou-de-Nippes, Ansavo, Petit-Goâve,
Grand-Goâve,
Léôgane, the order was the same: to restore order in the disorder.

And Dessalines put great order also in the native army. He liked the small
soldiers a lot. And all small soldiers in the native army respected him.
It's
true that soldiers didn't have enough to eat, didn't have good salaries,
didn't have enough clothes. But they continued to fight to defend the
country
so the chains of slavery weren't put back around Haitians' necks and feet.
Unfortunately, there were a few generals who didn't see things the same way
Dessalines did. A plot to kill him became more and more intense in the
country. A lot of money was given, though many honest soldiers refused to
take it.

But that wasn't enough to stop the plot against our Father Dessalines. So
our
Father Dessalines left Marchand to go restore order in the disorder. He
asked
Vernet, who was the Minister of Finance, to replace him. When our Father
Dessalines got to Saint-Marc, he sent a group of soldiers ahead to wait for
him in Port-au-Prince. While he was in Saint-Marc, he met Delpeche, a
soldier
who came from Petit-Goâve. Delpeche told him what was happening in the West.
But our Father Dessalines didn't believe him. He kept on going toward
Port-au-Prince. When he arrived in Arcahaie, he saw smoke in the sky in the
direction of Port-au-Prince. Dessalines thought it was Petion who was
setting
fire for the rebels. But unfortunately, General Petion, who was the Major of
the city, had already betrayed Father Dessalines.

On October 16, 1806, at around 3 o'clock in the afternoon, Dessalines sent
Colonel Thomas and Officer Gedeon ahead. But when the men arrived in
Port-au-Prince, Gedeon fell under the putschists' wings. He told why
Dessalines had sent him ahead. Dessalines had told Gedeon to wait for him in
front of Pont Rouge. So the betrayers sent a soldier dressed as Gedeon to
wait for Dessalines in front of Pont-Rouge, to fool him and then trap him.

On October 17, 1806, At around 5 o'clock in the morning, Father Dessalines
set off bravely for Port-au-Prince. On the way, he met farmers walking up
and
down, tending to their businesses. Everything seemed normal to him. When he
reached Pont-Rouge, as he thought he saw Gedeon, he thought to himself:
"Wow! Look at that faithful man! I'll have to give him a great reward". But
he
hadn't realized that Gedeon had already betrayed him. That's how he fell
into
the trap.

The criminal Generals gave the order to the soldiers to shoot Dessalines.
But
soldiers started to shake, they loved Dessalines, they knew how much he
loved
them, they knew how much he loved the country. They couldn't shoot, they
were scared to take that chance, they didn't shoot.

Dessalines told them: "What's the matter? Aren't those my soldiers? Don't
you
recognize me? It's me, General Dessalines! Look at me!"

Dessalines pulled a baton he had around his belt and waved it around to
disarm soldiers. Holding his head up high, he started walking. Bravely, he
walked among them. Remorse and sadness were in the soldiers' hearts. They
couldn't move, they stayed still. But all of a sudden, in a whirl of
confusion, Gabart, one of the putschists, shot Dessalines and injured him.
You may hear the emotion that tightens my throat as I speak about this. But
then, Yayou, another criminal General, stabbed Dessalines 3 times until he
was dead.

Fortunately, fortunately, although Dessalines died, he is still alive. He
lives within us, he lives within every Haitian everywhere, in the country
and
in the Tenth Department, so we can continue to work for this beautiful dream
of freedom, this beautiful dream of having enough food for all, beautiful
dream of having enough land for everyone to work.

Beautiful dream that everyone can go to school.

Beautiful dream that when you are sick, you can get medicine.

Beautiful dream to have dignity,

Beautiful dream of respect,

Beautiful dream that Haiti changes.

Fortunately, we, sons and daughters of Dessalines, have those same dreams
and
that's why we can say, on this October 17, 2002, 2 years before October 17,
2004: Dessalines died but he is alive, and he lives within each and everyone
of us who stand here.

Let's give a salute to our Father Dessalines!

Salute to our Father Dessalines!

Let's repeat it again sincerely and louder:

Salute to our Father Dessalines!

Salute to our Father Dessalines!

Salute to our Father Dessalines!

Our Father Dessalines asked me to come and remind you today of that
beautiful
example he gave us. Let's all agree to give our lives so life can be better
in Haiti. When we reach an agreement together, we share our Father
Dessalines' life with others, because that's what will help us change Haiti.

It is a great example.

It is a beautiful example.

It is the best example there can be. The example Father Dessalines left for
us when he gave his life for Haiti's sons and daughters. That is us. That's
why when we think about that beautiful example today, let's think that there
are bad examples as well.

We shouldn't give the example of betrayal.

Petion had betrayed, we have no right to betray.

Others have betrayed, we will remain faithful.

There are bad examples in foreign countries that they bring here.

Those bad examples we see in foreign countries, we have no right to let them
enter our country.

We see bad examples in the United States.

How is it so?

On Wednesday, April 29, 1992, the police arrested an American man named
Rodney King. They beat him really bad. When they were through, even after
when the four policemen were being held by justice, they were released. On
that day, Wednesday, April 29, 1992, that event triggered great violence in
Los Angeles. The violence created more violence. Such violation of human
rights is a bad example we have no right to copy here. The damage that was
caused between Wednesday, April 29 and Monday, May 4, 1992, in those five
days, should never happen here in a year, 2 years, nor 20 years, nor 50
years. It was too much major damage.

Let's hear:

There are 400 gangs in Los Angeles. About 80,000 people got together in
those
450 gangs to set things on fire. When they set fire, what was the damage
they
caused?

Great violence:

58 people died.

The damage was:

Out of the 58 people who died, 41 were shot with guns.

Damage, damage, violence, violation of human rights.

2,400 people were injured. Out of those, 2,300 were injured with weapons.

We don't want such violence here.

They arrested 12,000 people on that day.

US $1,000.000.000 in damages. According to insurance companies, the damage
went up to US 1 billion in the United States, in Los Angeles in particular.

5,000 buildings were set on fire. Those were houses, big houses. You can
imagine the sadness caused by violence and the violation of human rights in
Los Angeles, in the United States that year, 1992.

The international airport, which is only 8 kilometers west of Los Angeles,
had to be temporarily closed, because smoke coming from Los Angeles caused
by violence and violation of human rights made it impossible for airplanes
land.

Damage caused by violence and violation of human rights in the United
States.

15,000 buildings were damaged. Out of those, 10,000 were big stores.

Cars were burned down, many cars. Historians say that approximately 2,000
cars were burned in those 5 days.

14,000 people lost their jobs because of this violence.

When historians talk about the great violence and violation of human rights
that day in the United States (Los Angeles), they say that it was worse than
what happened in July 1967 in Detroit, still in the United States. Great
violence had caused 44 people to die that day. And in those five days,
between April 29, 1992 and May 4, 1992, 58 people were killed in Los
Angeles.

Just the same, there were less people who died after Martin Luther King was
killed, in April 1968, because of violence. 46 people had died then. While
58
people died in those five days of violence only. We understand here that we
want peace and we don't want to copy that bad example of violence and
violation of human rights. We understand each time there is a bad
declaration
that threatens democracy here under the pretext of supporting democracy.

Our Father Dessalines said: "Be careful! Remember, remember, don't forget. I
left many sons and daughters behind to walk on a straight line, the line of
peace, so the country can be in peace for everybody to live well together,
give the right example. We gave the good example of independence by being
the
first Black country to be independent. We will continue to give the right
example so that everyone who can understand and who understands can embrace
us with pride, dignity and gratitude for the beautiful example we give.
That's why today, we say: Honor and Respect for Father Dessalines who gave
us
a beautiful example in giving his life for us. And we are ready to give a
good example of peace without copying bad examples of violence and violation
of human rights we see in other countries.

Salute to our Father Dessalines!

Salute to our Father Dessalines!

Salute to our Father Dessalines!

Today, in Damien, while we are talking here, there is a good example of that
too. There are people who are not working for the State sitting with people
who are working for the State to discuss what can be done to increase coffee
production in the country. It is a good example when people working for the
State and people who are not are working together like that. That's what our
Father Dessalines wanted for his sons and daughters: for them to discuss
with
respect for one another to separate land in order and discipline in
accordance with the law. For us to be able to make land produce coffee, to
make land produce food, to make land put an end to hunger, the hunger there
is right now throughout the country. Hunger is hard. Hunger is painful.

We are aware of that because one's hunger is the other's pain. When one of
us
is hungry, all Dessalines' good sons and daughters feel the hunger, because
the pain of one of us is the pain of others too.

We congratulate all the people who are meeting in the Ministry of
Agriculture
to discuss with people working for the State how to increase coffee
production throughout the country. We will put money into that in order to
accomplish that. We will set up an institute to push coffee production. We
say hurray! That's what our Father Dessalines wanted. In this area here, we
don't produce coffee, we produce rice. We will work harder for the
Artibonite
to produce more rice, to have access to more water to water the land. And
for
the land which hasn't benefited from the land reform yet. The land reform
will continue in order, in discipline, in peace, to have more land to
increase the national production.

Our Father Dessalines is happy when in L'Estère, in O.D.V.A., in Raboteau,
on
the other side of the canal, in all popular neighborhoods in Gonaïves (I
hope
none will be jealous if I don't name them all), in all towns of the
Artibonite and in the nine departments of Haiti, his children stand in peace
without copying the examples of violence and violation of human rights we
see
elsewhere. When we continue to give the good example by putting our heads
together so independence can continue to bear fruit.

Then our Father Dessalines is happy. That's what he asked me to ask: that
the
8,000.000 brave men and women walk together in respect for one another so
that the land in Haiti can produce food for all Haiti's children to eat.

Do we want the land reform to continue?

Do we want the land reform to continue?

Yes!

In order or in disorder?

Father Dessalines asked: "What about Haiti's children who came from Africa
and didn't own land? Will they ever own land?"

We answer that they must own land too.

But does it need to be done in violence?

No!

If one day there is an argument over a piece of land in the Artibonite, do
we
need to bring out machetes?

No!

What do we need to do?

Dialogue!

Dialogue with respect for one another.

What about the authorities? Are they here for that?

Yes, I ask all authorities in the Artibonite, when there is an argument
about
a piece of land, to continue to encourage all our sisters and brothers to
find a peaceful solution, through dialogue, so that land reform can progress
in the Artibonite and in other departments throughout the country.

Just the same,.

(Somebody in the crowd passes a message)

Ah ah!

(The person is talking about authorities who lie)

The town hall in L'Estère is closed, agree? (People continue to pass a
message around)

O.K.! O.K.! O.K.!

What else do we see that would be good to do in the Artibonite to continue
have peace and production?

Very well. That's why earlier I had said that people would say what they
wanted to be done.

Very well. Like you asked and I had said it: we will work on Saint-Michel
road like you ask.

We will work on Saint-Michel road like you ask. And this square here won't
look the same when I come back next year. This square needs to be beautiful
for Father Dessalines. So he can be proud of this square the way he stood
proudly as a brave man. We will work on it so we can make it in the taste of
our Father Dessalines.

We will put cobblestones in the streets in Marchand Dessalines. Even if we
can't finish it all at once, since we don't have a lot of means, we will do
what we can to continue to cobble Marchand Dessalines. And next year, when I
come back, we will see cobblestones in most places that aren't cobbled yet.

Just the same, the house of Claire Heureuse, who was the Emperor's wife,
Father Dessalines' wife, cannot remain the way it is while we are getting
ready to celebrate 200 years. Next year, when I come back, we will see Mrs.
Dessalines' house look like Mrs. Dessalines.

The same for Charlotin Marcadieux's house. We are happy that Dessalines'
children are living in the house, and we will see with them what can be done
so the house can be more beautiful as we approach 2004. Because he gave his
life for Dessalines. We like people who are not betrayers, who do not betray
others. People who are like our Father Dessalines prefer to die than to
betray. So it is normal to honor and respect a brave man like Charlotin and
make the house he had lived in more beautiful.

Very well. What about schools in Marchand Dessalines? Father Leobert said
that there are schools that are closing down in Marchand Dessalines. He said
3 Presbyterian schools are closed down. Thank you for the information,
Father
Leobert. I will tell you the commitment we made in the name of the Prime
Minister and the Government: we will pay out the money necessary to open
these 3 schools immediately.

Are there other schools that are closed in Marchand Dessalines?

Are there other schools that are closed in Marchand Dessalines?

Yes!

Very well! Schools will open, and shouldn't literacy centers open as well?

Yes!

Did our Father Dessalines know how to read?

No!

Did our Father Dessalines know how to write?

No!

Wouldn't our Father Dessalines be happy to see that people in Marchand
Dessalines know how to read, how to write?

Yes!

It will be great next year, when I come back here, to see that many of you
in
Marchand Dessalines who didn't know how to read or write today, can write
the
word Dessalines because of the wonders of alphabetization. This will be done
thanks to you. People who agree to see alphabetization work well and fast in
Marchand Dessalines, put your hands up for me to see them!

People who agree with alphabetization, put your hands up high so I can see
them, please.

Thank you. That is what we can call Dessalines' children who have dignity.
Development goes through our brains.

Development goes through our intelligence. And while we want to send our
children to school, we open schools that are closing, we open literacy
centers for both adults and children for them to make the light of knowledge
shine in order to participate better in the full and complete development of
Haiti. And here in Marchand Dessalines, we will do it like we do it
throughout Haiti. In order to do that, we need to do it during the day and
during the night. If there is no electricity at night, can it be done?

No. Is there enough electricity right now? No!

Very well. Very well. We will look for a special amount of money to install
special electricity in Marchand Dessalines.

Why?

Because independence is light for the entire earth.

We are the First Independent Black country on earth.

This light needs to show through electricity in Marchand Dessalines.

Why? Because independence is the light that needs to shine for us to change
the country. Symbolically, there needs to be light in Marchand Dessalines to
show our will to make the light of intelligence, of knowledge shine on the
entire country so that everyone has food, everyone goes to school, everyone
finds healthcare. That's what the special light in Marchand Dessalines is
for.

Even if a special effort is put into installing electricity in Marchand
Dessalines, don't you be jealous elsewhere in the Artibonite. The same
effort
will be made to install more telephone lines here in Marchand Dessalines.

When we can communicate between us, it will be easier to work together, to
dialogue to share your knowledge with others to move forward together. Help
me say thank you to the children of Artibonite, to the children of Marchand
Dessalines, who came to celebrate with us today because they didn't forget
where their roots start, they came to water those roots. I see those people
here. A big hurray for them!

Just the same, when they are abroad, thanks to the phone, they can call us
and we can talk with them more. And we will call them too. A better
communication between us here and people living in the Tenth department can
bring more means, more material so that the solidarity existing between us
can help us get through our present economic difficulties. That's why by
putting more telephone lines here, it is justice to make it easier to get
things the State can't provide yet. Haiti's children living abroad can help
us get these things thanks to better communication.

On top of these small efforts, do you wish to keep the church the way it is?

No! The beautiful work started in the church needs to continue so that next
year, all Fathers, all Nuns, all Brothers and ourselves can be happier.

Will we do that? Yes!

We will do it in the State, we took measures for that. Our Father Dessalines
wasn't Catholic. He declared himself a Head in the catholic church, he used
to name priests in Saint-Marc, he used to take priests from the countryside
and ask them to function like in the Catholic church. It was like that
during
that period. Now it is not like that anymore. I mean that our Father
Dessalines wasn't 100% Catholic in the way meant by a person who believes
that 100% Catholic means that the person is not Vodouist nor Protestant. But
we can't say either that when a person claims to be Catholic it means that
he
or she doesn't know anything about Vodou or can't be friends with a
Protestant person. If we do things for the Catholic church, we need to do
the
same for the Protestant church and for our sisters and brothers who are
Vodouists.

Exactly! Are there any "peristils" [Vodou temple] around here?

Are there any peristils in Marchand Dessalines?

There is no need to be shy because independence means full and complete
freedom. A long time ago, people had the right to be ashamed to be involved
in Vodou. Not anymore. Now freedom is complete. The Constitution stipulates
that we must respect the Catholic religion, the Protestant religion and
people who choose to practice Vodou. So if anyone would like us to help them
in "Souvenance", we will help them. Even if Souvenance is not around here.
If
someone would like us to help them put a literacy center in the perestils,
we
will do it. Whether we need to buy benches to put in the peristils or repair
the peristils so they don't fall in pieces with the wind, we will do it.

Because a good peristil is a good place for people to share the light of
knowledge through alphabetization, to put their heads together to look for
medicine to heal their children when they don't have enough money to go to
the doctor. Or even to find a natural medicine without anyone hurting
anyone.
That's how people get together to see what good can be done. Because a good
Vodouist doesn't do anything bad. A good Vodouist does what is right. That's
what can be called a good Vodouist.

Just the same, we greatly respect all Protestant pastors, all Protestant
nuns. We respect all believers in the Protestant church and we must respect
them. And with the same respect, help us see what can be done in the State
together with you to facilitate justice being done. So it can be done in the
Catholic church, in the Protestant church and with people who practice
Vodou.

We also respect people who neither practice in the Catholic church, in the
Protestant church or Vodou. We need you to dialogue with us and we need to
dialogue with you so with that with respect, we can see together what can be
done to make Marchand Dessalines more beautiful, to make the Artibonite
nicer, to make Haiti a better country before we get to the celebration of
our
independence.

That's why all doors and windows of dialogue remain open so the State can
hear you and so you can talk with the State.

People who are hungry, when you are discouraged, think about the State that
is there to listen to you. People who have no jobs and who can get
discouraged with the many problems they encounter, remember that the State
is
there to listen to you and to see with you how it can help you get through
your difficulties.

To you, young people, young people who have no jobs, young people who are
not
working, young people who came today out of solidarity with the young people
of Marchand Dessalines and the Artibonite, remember that there is no future
for Haiti without Haiti's youth. There is no future for Haiti without you,
young men and young women who are here.

The youth is the future.

I know how you can get frustrated. I know how you can get so angry that you
want to fight. I know that sometimes when you get so angry and fight, you
don't even go out to pray. I also know how you are intelligent, how you are
brave, how you have strong personalities that can help you get a hold of
yourselves not to copy the wrong violent examples that were there during the
colonization. Not to copy what they made our Father Dessalines go through,
or
what is happening in other countries. Not to copy bad examples such as what
happened in Los Angeles, United States, during those five days.

All the damage caused by violation of human rights during those five days.

We are a beautiful people. We will copy good examples, while we will give
good examples to copy.

We have no right to ever copy wrong examples. That's why I ask all Haiti's
youth not to let yourself get into drugs that eat up your intelligence.
Because we need your intelligence to make light shine, to make light shine
brighter! Brighter and brighter each day.

Haiti's youth, protect your intelligence.

Don't let misinformation spoil your intelligence, like dust can sometimes
spoil a car's engine.

We need your intelligence to work well, to be in shape so it can protect
Haiti's independence.

Haiti's youth, you who are so angry because you don't see where the future
is
leading you, I embrace you patriotically. I embrace you with all my heart
because I know that if there had been justice during those last 200 years,
you wouldn't be so angry and you wouldn't be in that sad situation.

In order for the future generations in the next 10 years, 20 years, 50
years,
not to have to struggle like you are, let's stand up straight!

Let's stand up strong!

Let's walk together hand in hand.

And that flag our Father Dessalines gave us, like you just saw, won't ever
fall down.

It can't fall down. Didn't you see how solidarity just kept that flag up?

Did you see that?

Isn't it with that same solidarity we need to live?

Yes!

Hurray for that!

A big hurray for that!

Applaud for that!

Maybe that move was a pure coincidence, but even if it is coincidence, we
will take a historical lesson in coincidence because our brains are there to
give us the light of intelligence. When the wind of embargo wants to throw
down the country like that wind just tried to throw down the flag, stand as
one to keep it up.

When the wind of division wants to unsettle the country to make it go
through
a political crisis they create so we can't get through the problems of
poverty, stand as one to hold the country together, like you stood together
to hold the flag up.

When the wind of discouragement blows in your brain to try to dry it up,
like
the wind can blow on the land to dry it up so it can't produce food, stand
together as one like you just did to hold the flag, so the country doesn't
turn into dry land. But so it turns into a land watered by our sweat, held
together by our solidarity, protected by our unity. This way, our Father
Dessalines, who, as a Black man, was as one with persons of mixed races in
Haiti, can see that we stand as one together, with every son or daughter in
the country, without distinction. Then our children will applaud for us,
like
we, Dessalines' children, applaud for him and say:

Salute to our Father Dessalines!

Honor and Respect for our Father Dessalines, you, who gave us this land for
us to protect.

President Jean-Bertrand Aristide

Marchand Dessalines

10/17/2002