19086: Harvey: Re: 19074: (Craig) NYTimes Editorial: Hour of the Gunmen in Haiti (fw d) (fwd)

From: Sean Harvey <seanharvey@juno.com>

 What I don't understand about news coverage (such as this editorial) and
 the US & international community's approach to this problem is:

 Who cares at this point what the (non-military) opposition does or does
 not agree to? Could there possibly be anything more irrelevant? PAP is
 about to be overrun by FRAPH thugs, armed sugar cane cutters from the
 Dominican Republic and a disgruntled Gonaives street gang (with a leader
 from Elizabeth, New Jersey, oddly enough). What do they care what the
 political opposition does or does not agree to?

 Am I wrong? Does the political opposition have any power over the
 situation on the ground? I would like to understand better, if anyone has
 a clearer perspective.