24716: lyall (comment) prices

J.David Lyall <postmaster@lyalls.net>

Prices these days. Vegetables went up a lot after the floods around Gonaives. A single green pepper, piman dulce, costs 5 gourdes more or less. Onions got real expensive. For a while imported onions were cheaper in the supermarket than local onions en marche.

Rice came down after the surge following TItid's vacation. A 25 kilo sack is 100 to 120 dola ht, depending on the brand. All of it imported of course. Perhaps there will be some haitian diri this year after two seasons with no product. The world price will only go up as world production is below world consumption. Good for Thailand and Vietnam, the biggest exporters; bad for dependent countries like Hayti. Todays diriz price is a bit lower than during Titid's reign.

Gasoline is breathtakingly expensive for us importering countries. 95 octane today is 27 dola ht, 91 is 25. That is almost 4 u$d for premium. For a while premium was 23.4 while 91 was 25. That made no sense and all the premium was gone while lots of 91 was in storage tanks.

They are not subsidizing kerosene, it is more than 2 u$d per gallon. Diesel is about the same as kero but I didn't look today as I never buy diesel. Driving an old jeep with a big six motor is very expensive these days. Tap tap fares haven't gone up yet.