24948: Wilcken: (reply) Re: 24900: Lally: (Question) Drummers (fwd)

From: Lois E Wilcken <makandal-ny@juno.com>

Collectively, the drummers are tanbourinè, or tanbouyè.  Their parts are
manman (lead), segon (second), and boula (third).  Other names derive
from Ountò, the lwa of drummers and drums, that is, adjountò (manman),
ountò (segon), and ountògri (boula).  Instrument names might be used to
name the individuals who play them as well, but I've heard mayestwo or
mèt tanbou for the lead drummer, and boulatye for the third drummer.
Instruments besides drums are part of the òkès (orchestra):  ogan (bell),
ason (bead-covered rattle), tchatcha (rattle with seeds inside), and bas
or tanbourin (frame drum).  The bell player might be called ogantye.
Priests (oungan or manbo) or song leaders (oundjenikon) typically play
the rattles.  Of course, there's lots of regional variation in these
names.

Temporal variation, too.  You'll find names that are rare or extinct in
the literature (Emmanuel Paul, Férère Laguerre, Claude Dauphin, etc.)
I'd love to hear from people on the list who have collected names
recently since most of the literature is pretty old now.

Lois

La Troupe Makandal - New York City's Center for Haitian Drum and Dance
621 Rutland Road 4C, Brooklyn NY 11203-1716
718-953-6638 / makandal-ny@juno.com
www.makandal.org