25017: RepresentAction: (comment) Ingratitude, Amends and Amens (fwd)

From: RepresentAction <info@representaction.net>

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
"Ingratitude, Amends and Amens"
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

An observer of Haitian political life can only qualify as ingratitude, the
attitude of the Haitian state towards its Diaspora.

The paradox between the legendary gratitude of the Haitian people on one
hand, for the very little they do have, and towards those who help
contribute to their causes, and this ingratitude of the state towards its
best and brightest, is nothing short of mind boggling and quite simply "A
National Disgrace". How can we receive so much and give back so little. How
can we lethargically brush aside such a fundamental issue of such
importance. How long do we expect the Diaspora to live under a regime of
"Taxation without Representation". One only hopes the Diaspora's patience on
this issue produces the requisite results, before, like the Americans at the
Boston Tea Party, they too, break out in open revolt.

Why is double nationality and equal economic, social, and yes, political
rights such a problem for the Haitian state. And why has it yet to happen,
when the vast majority of people asked believe that, as Steven Covey so
aptly classifies life's issues, it is both essential and urgent.

We could list the excuses as falling into a certain number of broad
categories:

1) "No one cares enough to make it happen, we have enough problems."
Double-Nationality and Equal Rights for Haitians Overseas is not a problem,
it is a Grade Triple AAA solution with unimagined benefits for Haiti and the
Haitian people.

2) "The Constitution."
I love this argument most especially when it is brandished by those who
violate it with glee when it suits their personal agendas. If a referendum
were to take place in two months time, with a thorough national discussion
in the media and on the street preceding the vote, I think we all know 90%
at least would be in favor of granting Double-Nationality and Equal Rights
status to Haitians overseas immediately and without further "Pale Anpil".

3) "We have to wait."
I have rarely seen a state so predisposed to waiting, and waiting, and
waiting. Who benefits from waiting, and waiting, and waiting, certainly not
the people. A few thousand ladies and gentlemen in suits and nice cars. You
be the judge. Many other people don't want to wait. To those governing our
Haitian state, we know you are swamped, facing the most incredible
challenges, yet we plead for you to do the right thing now, to take this
opportunity granted to you with your time at the helm to give Haiti a new
beginning. By accomplishing just this you will have made a major
far-reaching contribution to Haiti's future. If you do nothing else, do this
one thing for your countrymen and women. You know in your heart it is the
right thing to do. If you disagree, then let's vote on it. Isn't that what
democracy is about. If you believe the Haitian people do not want that now,
put it to the test, referendum time, and if ever it was worthwhile to have a
referendum now on an issue, this is the issue, this is the time. Not in 5
years, 10 years, 15 years.

We can beat around the bush forever and ever amen, or when can get it done
now, and simply say "amen".

The Dixie Chicks sing a song of familial love whose lyrics should express
our heartfelt sentiments to the Haitian Diaspora, Our Family Overseas:

"Oh my love will fly to you each night on angels wings"

When will we as a nation, through action, demonstrate to Haitians Overseas
our profound gratitude.

The same song says

"God hears "Amen" wherever we are"

Let us make peaceful, but forceful, noise now, to let the Haitian state hear
it is time for "Just Amends" and just "Amens"

RepresentAction
Port-au-Prince, Haiti
May 6, 2005