27900: (news) Chamberlain: Aristide return to Haiti possible-S.Africa's Mbeki (fwd)

From: Greg Chamberlain <GregChamberlain@compuserve.com>

     JOHANNESBURG, Feb 20 (Reuters) - South African President Thabo Mbeki
said on Sunday that former Haitian president Jean-Bertrand Aristide may be
able to return home after consultation with Haiti's new president, local
media reported.
     Aristide has been living in exile in South Africa since 2004 when he
fled an uprising over charges of rights abuses and corruption.
     Mbeki said there was no reason why the former Roman Catholic priest
should not go back to Haiti after an election this month, which was won by
Aristide ally Rene Preval.
     "I would imagine from everything that I've seen and heard President
Preval himself wouldn't want to oppose President Aristide's return to
Haiti," Mbeki said on SABC radio.
     "But I think it will be determined largely by an assessment by Rene
Preval, by President Aristide as to the timing of it so that it doesn't
produce unnecessary problems."
     After his ouster, South Africa insisted that Aristide was Haiti's
rightful leader and said he had been toppled by the United States and
France.
     Aristide, who remains popular in Haiti's poor slums, has been silent
for most of his stay in South African and not commented on his possible
return after the elections.